The design of this Bodum Cafetière is based on the original Cafetière/French Press design dating back to the mid 1800s. Over 100 years since it's conception, this is still the UK's favourite brew...
The design of this Bodum Cafetière is based on the original Cafetière/French Press design dating back to the mid 1800s. Over 100 years since it's conception, this is still the UK's favourite brewing method giving great results with little effort. You can expect a coffee with more texture and a fuller body compared to paper filter coffee. Metal filtration allows small fines and oils to pass through into the brewed liquid.
There are a number of benefits to brewing with Cafetière;
- No need for paper filters. This cuts down on the cost of each cup and is arguably better for the environmental.
- Brewing with the Cafetière is very easy. Dose and brew weight are the main variables to watch but if you use the right amount of coffee and water you can'g go wrong. Unlike paper filter brewing grind consistency makes less of a difference to cafetière extraction. It little finer will give a stronger brew and coarser, a little weaker.
- Unlike some brew methods that require multiple pieces of kit or parts everything you need to make coffee is in the cafetière, a metal strainer and carafe. Just make sure you keep on top of cleaning that strainer after each brew to avoiding tainting!
Cafetière brewing is an immersion method. This means that the same amount of water is in contact with the coffee for the whole brew time (unlike percolation where water passes through the coffee.)
This Cafetière brews up to 1L so for this we recommend a dose of 60g.
- Add the coffee, medium ground, to the cafetière.
- Pour over 1L of water getting all the coffee wet.
- Leave for 4 minutes to brew.
- Stir to break the crust.
- Leave for another 4 minutes for particles to fall to the bottom before plunging.
If you want an extra clear cup with less silt, try skimming the "crema" off the top with some spoons and press the plunger just below the surface. This avoids agitating the grounds from a full plunge!